7.22.2011

this is green and red but not christmas

*I really love blogging, but I'm having a hard time (1) being consistent and (2) finding my niche in terms of what I enjoy and can constantly blog about. There's my tumblr, where I pretty much just post and repost pictures and links and quotes I like, once in awhile throwing in a piece of writing or two, but in general, my tumblr is like a bulletin board where I tack on things that catch my eye, then float on by. It's a place of often thoughtless whimsy or cursory rehashing. Sometimes I post pictures I've taken, but lately I haven't really been taking pictures. Which is why I post infrequently on this blog too (another reason is that I always forget to write down recipes). Though this blog started out as a photo blog, it has turned into more of a recipe blog, which I'm okay with - except that when I head back to school in about a month, I won't have a kitchen anymore. Then what will happen? Who knows? I just know I really like blogging.

*At the same time, I've accepted that my life is a bit rough-and-tumble right now, constantly changing, constantly in flux. Last year I was in four different continents and at least nine different countries. I have no long-term plans in my head, and to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out who I am and what I love to do. I've been second-guessing my passions, trying out new things, and figuring out my emotions and desires - all of which collectively means that I'm really just growing up and trying to get comfortable in my own skin. So I know that there's not going to be consistency in my life for awhile, that I'm going to be changing and trying and changing again for awhile, and that blogging (which I've been doing since I was 12 years old - my first blog was on xanga.com and my username was xoxandyroddick, I kid you not) will be following suit.

*On an unrelated note, here's a pretty tasty kale salad:

_MG_9691

Marinated Kale and Roasted Beet Salad
Serves 2 as a side dish

Ingredients:
1 large beet or 2 small beets, washed and scrubbed
1 bunch raw curly kale (washed, de-stemmed and dried) – 4-5 stalks
juice of 1 medium lemon (about 3 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp liquid aminos (tamari or soy sauce would work too)
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp tahini
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large beet or 2 small beets, washed and scrubbed
1 tsp sesame seeds, to taste as garnish (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Wrap the beet(s) in foil and bake for one hour, or until soft.

3. Tear the kale leaves off the stalk, breaking up the leaves into smaller pieces as well. Put into a bowl.

4. In a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, liquid aminos, nutritional yeast, tahini, and minced garlic. Whisk until smooth.

5. Pour dressing over kale leaves and massage well with hands for 1-2 minutes. Let marinate for an hour (while the beets bake!). Make sure to marinate the kale because this makes the salad taste infinitely better!

6. Remove from oven, unwrap, and let cool 5-10 minutes. Then peel (should be very easy at this point) and dice into chunks.

7. Top kale salad with diced beets and sesame seeds before servings

0 comments:

Post a Comment